Removing Mushrooms In Your Bathroom
Mushrooms may add colour and variety to an outdoor garden or lawn, but mushrooms that sprout up in your bathroom are a cause for concern. Initial removal of large mushrooms is as simply as donning a pair of rubber gloves and picking the offending fungi out of the bathroom floor, wall or ceiling. Once you remove the largest parts of the mushrooms, copper- or neem oil-based fungicides are an effective treatment for killing the remaining structures of the mushrooms. Using fungicides indoors requires proper ventilation as well as eye and mouth protection. If you prefer to not use fungicides, a diluted solution of bleach and water is also an effective means for killing mushrooms. Full eradication may require several applications of either a fungicide or a bleach solution. Treating existing mushrooms in your bathroom with a fungicide is not enough to prevent future fungal problems in your bathroom.
If the levels of humidity in your bathroom are high enough to support mushrooms, they are also high enough to support the growth of toxic mould or structural damage to underlying wood structures in your bathroom. Ensure that your bathroom is fitted with a ventilation fan to remove humidity from the room. Wet towels also provide a breeding ground for mould and mushrooms, so hang towels to dry or transfer them immediately to a washing machine. If the seals around your toilet or bathtub are leaking or pooling water, have them repaired by a professional contractor. If your water damage problem is severe, you may need to replace flooring or walls with new, dry wood.